What it is
- It is a subscription database especially for finding ancestors.
- It is similar to the popular Ancestry.com database which is available on the Internet for a yearly fee.
- It includes all of the historical records and public member trees that are available in the paid version.
- However, it is not possible to use the "Member Connect" feature or to build your own family tree on the Library Edition.
- You can log in (free of charge) from an in-library computer at any KFPL branch.
- You can also log in using your own laptop computer as long as you are using the WiFi at the branch (i.e. not your own data plan or portable hotspot.)
- You can print your results to the self-serve printer (15 cents/page) OR save them to a flash drive OR email them to yourself (free of charge).
- If you don't live in Kingston/Frontenac, check with your local library. Ancestry-Library Edition may be available there.
How to use it
- Visit us at www.kfpl.ca
- Click Search Our Collections.
- Click Online Databases.
- Click Ancestry-Library Edition.
- Follow the instructions on the screen.
Tip: click Show Advanced to get a bigger variety of search options. You don't have to be an advanced user to benefit from the advanced search screen.