It is a two-volume set (blue).
It is in the Genealogy Room at the Central Library.
The call number is GENEAL 929.371371 CENS
Volume 1 includes:
- 1844 Assessment Roll
- 1846 Assessment Roll
- 1851-2 Census
- 1861 Census
- 1871 Census
- 1891 Assessment Roll
Volume 2 includes:
- 1881 Census (Pittsburgh Township and Howe Island)
How to Use It
- Find the correct section of the book. Each census is in a separate section. The sections are separated by cardboard dividers.
- Find the index of names. It might be either at the beginning or the end of the section.
- The number next to the name refers either to a page or an entry. Write it down.
- In that same section of the book, find the actual transcriptions.
- They are not in alphabetical order. To find the name in the transcription, use the page/entry number you wrote down.
- To see the actual microfilm:
- Find the CENSUS page number. It should be pretty clearly marked in the text—usually preceded by the word Page or Sheet.
- The transcription itself is probably page-numbered, but that's not the number you want. You want to know which page of the CENSUS to search when you look at the microfilm.
- At the Central Library, the microfilm is located in the top right-hand drawer of the microfilm cabinet. Please ask at the Information Desk.
- Learn more about access to microfilm.