Do you know of a soldier from Clarendon Township who served in WWI? Please let us know!
Where to Look
The Canadian Great War Project
Find out whether the soldier survived the war, what unit(s) he served with, when his birthday was, and who was waiting for him back at home. Search for the person by name and/or regimental number.
Find out what the soldier looked like; see the original form with his handwriting on it. Search the Soldiers of the First World War database on the website of Library and Archives Canada.
- Way Back in Frontenac: Bedford and the Northern Townships, 1860 – 1900, by Russ Waller.
- Away Back in Clarendon and Miller, by Charles A. Armstrong.
- County of a Thousand Lakes: the History of the County of Frontenac, 1673 - 1973, by the Frontenac County History Committee.
- Your County Has a Past, by Alice E. Hogeboom.
Find out who lived in the household. Discover how old they were, what they did for a living, how much money they made, and more.
Before the War
- Search the 1911 Census of Canada.
- Type the soldier's surname.
- Choose Ontario from the dropdown menu.
- Click Hide/Show Advanced Search Options.
- District Name: Kingston
- Sub-district Name: Kingston
- Leave the other fields blank.
After the War
- Search the 1921 Census of Canada online from Ancestry.com
- Library and Archives Canada has partnered with Ancestry.com to provide access to this census.
- Ancestry.com will ask you to make a free account (email address, password) in order to view the census.
- If you prefer not to make a free account, you are welcome to use Ancestry-Library Edition free of charge at your local KFPL branch (in-library use only).
Try the Map Gallery, Frontenac Maps on the County of Frontenac website. Scroll down and click Lot/Concession Maps by Geographic Township. There is also a "Hamlet Map" of Plevna in the Map Gallery.
Towns and Villages
- Buckshot - now called Plevna
- Plevna - formerly Buckshot * (KFPL Library Branch)
What did you discover? Please share your results with us!
Return to Home Town, Home Front.
Acknowledgements: The list of soldiers' names was generously provided by Stuart MacDonald, curator of the Princess of Wales' Own Regiment (PWOR) Museum.
Image: The happy man today is the man at the front. Royal Highlanders of Canada ... join the 73rd now / Digital ID: (digital file from color film copy transparency) cph 3g12397 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/cph.3g12397 / Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA