- 3058340 ANGLIN, William RD BATTERSEA
- 835949 BETTS, Arnold J BATTERSEA
- 204469 HARTLEY, Herbert Alfred BATTERSEA
- 204136 HARTLEY, James Ray BATTERSEA
- 835775 HOGLE, Edward BATTERSEA
- 835731 HOOPER, Rowland BATTERSEA
- 51213 HUNTBACH, Ernest BATTERSEA
- 835749 JACKSON, Wallace BATTERSEA
- 835782 KEELER, Harmon BATTERSEA
- 835389 KING, Thomas L BATTERSEA
- 835644 KNIGHT, Fred BATTERSEA
- 835847 LAKE, Harold C BATTERSEA
- 38 VanLUVEN, Otto BATTERSEA
- 835725 WILLIAMS, Dalton M BATTERSEA
- 835748 WILLIAMS, John BATTERSEA
- 835904 DARLING, Roy Addison INVERARY
- 835130 EARDLEY, Thomas C INVERARY
- 5777 EDWARDS, William Cecil INVERARY
- FERGUSON, Frederick S INVERARY
- 780 FREEMAN, Norman Victor INVERARY
- 835616 KISH, Archie INVERARY
- 835906 RITCHIE, Peter INVERARY
- 835057 SHEPHERD, Elmer INVERARY
- 835863 SIMPSON, Clarence Leroy INVERARY
- 835654 SMITH, Joseph INVERARY
- 835554 WOOD, Chaffy INVERARY
- 835944 DOBBS, Roscoe SUNBURY
- 835056 ELLIOTT, Thomas SUNBURY
- 455465 EVANS, Walter SUNBURY
- 305531 MARSHALL, Philip SUNBURY
- 835285 SHANNON, Norman F SUNBURY
Do you know of another soldier from Storrington Township who served in WWI? Please let us know!
Where to Look
The Canadian Great War Project
Find out whether the soldier survived the war, what unit(s) he served with, when his birthday was, and who was waiting for him back at home. Search for the person by name and/or regimental number.
Find out what the soldier looked like; see the original form with his handwriting on it. Search the Soldiers of the First World War database on the website of Library and Archives Canada.
Beginning in the late 1940s, a series of 989 local history books were compiled by members of the Women's Institutes across Ontario. The project was initiated by Lord and Lady Tweedsmuir. The volumes are a rich source of material about families and communities in Ontario, written by women who lived in the communities they were writing about.
Find a copy of the Tweedsmuir History of Inverary at KFPL. A copy of this book is also available online at http://zert.info/Documents/Tweedsmuir.pdf (Note: it is a 398 page pdf document with many images, so it may not be suitable for slower Internet connections. )
Find a copy of the Tweedsmuir History of Battersea at KFPL.
- Some Storrington Township Keelers and their Descendents, by Roberta Keeler.
- A History of Storrington Township, by Alita F. Battey-Pratt.
- Storrington Township : miscellaneous collection of papers concerning the history of the Lake Opinicon community, and some papers concerning the Bruce and Davidson families, by the Ontario Genealogical Society, Kingston Branch.
- County of a Thousand Lakes: the History of the County of Frontenac, 1673 - 1973, by the Frontenac County History Committee.
- Your County Has a Past, by Alice E. Hogeboom.
Find out who lived in the household. Discover how old they were, what they did for a living, how much money they made, and more.
Before the War
- Search the 1911 Census of Canada.
- Type the soldier's surname.
- Choose Ontario from the dropdown menu.
- Click Hide/Show Advanced Search Options.
- District Name: Frontenac
- Sub-district Name: Storrington
- Leave the other fields blank.
After the War
- Search the 1921 Census of Canada online from Ancestry.com
- Library and Archives Canada has partnered with Ancestry.com to provide access to this census.
- Ancestry.com will ask you to make a free account (email address, password) in order to view the census.
- If you prefer not to make a free account, you are welcome to use Ancestry-Library Edition free of charge at your local KFPL branch (in-library use only).
Try the Map Gallery, Frontenac Maps on the County of Frontenac website. Scroll down and click Lot/Concession Maps by Geographic Township. There are also "Hamlet Maps" of Battersea, Inverary and Sunbury in the Map Gallery.
Towns and Villages
- Ansleys - now called Brewer Lake
- Battersea - formerly Rockville; formerly VanLuvens Mills
- Brewer Lake - formerly Ansleys
- Ferristown - now called Rockdale
- Lake Opinicon
- Rockdale - formerly Ferristown
- Rockville - now called Battersea; see also VanLuvens Mills
- Storrington * (KFPL Library Branch)
- VanLuvens Mills - now called Battersea; see also Rockville
What did you discover? Please share your results with us!
Return to Home Town, Home Front.
Acknowledgement: The list of soldiers' names was generously provided by Stuart MacDonald, curator of the Princess of Wales' Own Regiment (PWOR) Museum.
Image: Boys to the farm -- bring your chums and do your bit -- S.O.S. / Digital ID: (digital file from color film copy transparency) cph 3g12615 / Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA