- BROMWICH, Henry WW GARDEN ISLAND
- 342948 ABBOTT, Howard Francis WOLFE ISLAND
- 3059411 BROWN, James Daniel WOLFE ISLAND
- 3286 CHERRY, Ernest Edward WOLFE ISLAND
- 835970 DAVIS, Richard E WOLFE ISLAND
- 835972 GILLESPIE, Albert E WOLFE ISLAND
- 455781 JONES, George T WOLFE ISLAND
- 835470 KENNA, Charles Patrick WOLFE ISLAND
- 813 O'REILLY, Frank WOLFE ISLAND
- 835058 STALEY, Gordon H WOLFE ISLAND
- 835327 WALKER, Edwin Jobe WOLFE ISLAND
- 835484 WATTS, Arthur J WOLFE ISLAND
Do you know of another soldier from Wolfe, Garden or Simcoe Island who served in WWI? Please let us know!
Where to Look
The Canadian Great War Project
Find out whether the soldier survived the war, what unit(s) he served with, when his birthday was, and who was waiting for him back at home. Search for the person by name and/or regimental number.
Find out what the soldier looked like; see the original form with his handwriting on it. Search the Soldiers of the First World War database on the website of Library and Archives Canada.
Be sure to visit the website of the Wolfe Island Historical Society.
Beginning in the late 1940s, a series of 989 local history books were compiled by members of the Women's Institutes across Ontario. The project was initiated by Lord and Lady Tweedsmuir. The volumes are a rich source of material about families and communities in Ontario, written by women who lived in the communities they were writing about.
Find a copy of the Tweedsmuir History of Wolfe Island at KFPL.
- Wolfe Island Family Connections , by Russ Waller.
- Growing Up on Wolfe Island: A Compilation of Oral Histories, by the Wolfe Island Heritage Committee, 2008.
- The family tree of the descendants of Captain James O'Brien, 1827-1890 of Wolfe Island and Howe Island Ontario, by J. Francis Mullen and Arthur M. Norris.
- Wolfe Island Cemeteries, by Fern Small and Ken Collins.
- Ganounkouesnot : the Long Island Standing Up, by Renie Marshall.
- Wolfe Island: A Legacy in Stone, by Barbara Wall LaRocque, 2009.
- Descendants of the Laughlin families of Wolfe Island, Ontario . . . includes related families of Minnick, Parkinson, Putnam, Van Ness, by the Ontario Genealogical Society, Kingston Branch.
- Township of Wolfe Island, Reeves and Councilpersons, 1850-1993, by Mable McRae.
- The Story of Garden Island, by Marion Calvin Boyd.
- A Saga of the St. Lawrence: Timber and Shipping through Three Generations [Garden Island], by Delano Dexter Calvin, 1945.
- Wolfe Island : Past and Present, by Winston M. Cosgrove.
- Wolfe Island Sketches : Out of the Past , by Katharine Jean Richardson. Illus. Kathleen E. Rannie.
- Simcoe Island, an Eves perspective : a Chronicle of the Island and its People, by Sanford Sydney Eves.
- County of a Thousand Lakes: the History of the County of Frontenac, 1673 - 1973, by the Frontenac County History Committee.
- Your County Has a Past, by Alice E. Hogeboom.
Where to Look
Find out who lived in the household. Discover how old they were, what they did for a living, how much money they made, and more.
Before the War
- Search the 1911 Census of Canada.
- Type the soldier's surname.
- Choose Ontario from the dropdown menu.
- Click Hide/Show Advanced Search Options.
- District Name: Frontenac
- Sub-district Name: Wolfe Island
- Leave the other fields blank.
After the War
- Search the 1921 Census of Canada online from Ancestry.com
- Library and Archives Canada has partnered with Ancestry.com to provide access to this census.
- Ancestry.com will ask you to make a free account (email address, password) in order to view the census.
- If you prefer not to make a free account, you are welcome to use Ancestry-Library Edition free of charge at your local KFPL branch (in-library use only).
Try the Map Gallery, Frontenac Maps on the County of Frontenac website. Scroll down and click Lot/Concession Maps by Geographic Township. There is also a "Hamlet Map" of Marysville in the Map Gallery.
Towns and Villages
- Marysville - formerly Wolfe Island Village * (KFPL Library Branch)
- Port Metcalfe
- St. Lawrence
- Wolfe Island Village - now called Marysville
What did you discover? Please share your results with us!
Return to Home Town, Home Front.
Acknowledgement: The list of soldiers' names was generously provided by Stuart MacDonald, curator of the Princess of Wales' Own Regiment (PWOR) Museum.
Image: Heros of St. Julien and Festubert ... shall we follow their example? / Digital ID: (digital file from color film copy transparency) cph 3g12562 / Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA